Your privacy is critically important to us. At Jilt we have a few fundamental principles:
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
- Our websites (including jilt.com and app.jilt.com)
- Our other products and services that are available on or through our websites
Below we explain how we collect, use, and share information about you, along with the choices that you have with respect to that information.
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so – for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better. We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our Services, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, we require individuals who sign up for our Services to provide an email address and other personal and business information. You may provide us with more information – like your business category – but we don’t require that information to create an account.
- Transaction and Billing Information: If you purchase a paid subscription to a Jilt plan you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card information, and contact information.
- eCommerce Site Information: When you connect your eCommerce site with Jilt, you provide information about your site & store, such as your store URL.
- Communications With Us: You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys, communicate with our team about a support question, or post a comment on our blog.
We also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information: Like most online services, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. We collect log information when you use our Services – for example, when you create or make changes to email campaigns.
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect information about the number and type of email campaigns you create. We also collect information about what happens when you use our Services (e.g., page views, site searches, and interactions with other parts of our Services) along with information about your device (e.g., screen size, name of cellular network, and mobile device manufacturer). We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions.
- eCommerce Site Information: When you connect your eCommerce store to Jilt, we collect information about your store, orders, and products, both to provide our Services to you and to gain insights into the types of stores that use our Services, so we can make our Services better. For example, we automatically collect information about your product catalog in order to generate product recommendations.
We may also get information about you from other sources. For example, if you connect your account through another service (like Shopify), we will receive information from that service (such as your username and basic profile information) via the authorization procedures used by that service. The information we receive depends on which services you authorize and any options that are available. We may also get information, such as a mailing address or demographic data, from third party services about individuals who are not yet our users (…but we hope will be!), which we may use, for example, for marketing and advertising purposes like postcards and other mailers advertising our services. We also use this data, along or in combination with other data, to provide you with more relevant product features and services.
When you use our services, you may import information that you have collected from your customers or other individuals. Because we don’t have a direct relationship with your customers, you are responsible for making sure you have the appropriate permission for us to collect and process their information. For more information, see our Privacy Notice for Visitors to Our User’s Stores.
We will retain personal information we process on behalf of our users for as long as needed to provide our Services or to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, prevent abuse, and enforce our agreements.
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our Services – for example, to set up and maintain your account, send your emails, or charge you for any of our paid Services;
- To further develop and improve our Services – for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or will help them to create and manage their email campaigns more efficiently;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition – for example, we may analyze how many individuals purchased a plan after receiving a marketing message or the features used by those who continue to use our Services after a certain length of time;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Jilt and others, which may result in us declining a transaction or the use of our Services;
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, about offers and promotions offered by Jilt and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on Jilt and our products; and
- To personalize your experience using our Services, provide recommendations (for example, through our customer success team), target our marketing messages to groups of our users (for example, those who have a particular plan with us or have been our user for a certain length of time), and serve relevant advertisements.
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that: (1) The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account – for example, in order to enable access to our Services on your device or charge you for a paid plan; or (2) The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or (3) The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or (4) We have a legitimate interest in using your information – for example, to provide and update our Services, to improve our Services so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard our Services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, and to personalize your experience; or (5) You have given us your consent – for example before we place certain cookies on your device and access and analyze them later on, as described in our Cookie Statement.
We do not sell our users’ private personal information. We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us, or to provide their services to you or your site. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information, fraud prevention services that allow us to analyze fraudulent payment transactions, postal and email delivery services that help us stay in touch with you, customer chat and email support services that help us communicate with you, those that assist us with our marketing efforts (e.g. by providing tools for identifying a specific marketing target group or improving our marketing campaigns), and those that help us understand and enhance our Services (like analytics providers). Other vendors are listed in our more specific policies (e.g. our Cookie Statement).
- Legal Requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Jilt, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so, such as the other services that you connect to your site to through our integrations.
- Aggregated or De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our Services and we may share a hashed version of your email address to facilitate customized ad campaigns on other platforms.
- Published Support Requests: And if you send us a request (for example, via a support email or one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish that request in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it – which are described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information – and we are not legally required to continue to keep it. For example, we keep the web server logs that record information about a visitor to one of Jilt’s websites, such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, and operating system, for approximately 90 days. We retain the logs for this period of time in order to, among other things, analyze traffic to Jilt’s websites and investigate issues if something goes wrong on one of our websites. As another example, when you delete an email campaign, it remains trashed for ninety days just in case you change your mind and would like restore that content – because starting again from scratch is no fun, at all. After the ninety days are up, the deleted content may remain on our backups and caches until purged.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our Services for potential vulnerabilities and attacks. You can read more about our security program.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, profile information, and transaction and billing information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of our Services – for example, our paid plan – may not be accessible.
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of promotional messages, we may still send you other messages, like those about your account and legal notices.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: At this time, Jilt does not respond to “do not track” signals across all of our Services. However, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using Jilt’s websites, with the drawback that certain features of Jilt’s websites may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
- Close Your Account: While we’d be very sad to see you go, if you no longer want to use our Services 😿, you can close your account. Please keep in mind that we may continue to retain your information after closing your account, as described in How Long We Keep Information above – for example, when that information is reasonably needed to comply with (or demonstrate our compliance with) legal obligations such as law enforcement requests, or reasonably needed for our legitimate business interests.
Upon request, we will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information. You may access, correct, obtain a copy of or request deletion of your personal information by contacting us. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe. In certain circumstances we may be required by law to retain your personal information, or may need to retain your personal information in order to continue providing a service.
We acknowledge that you have the right to access your personal information and we have no direct relationship with your end users whose personal data we process. An individual who seeks access, or who seeks to correct, amend, or delete inaccurate data should direct their query to the you, as the the data controller. If requested to remove data we will respond within a reasonable timeframe. In certain circumstances we may be required by law to retain your personal information, or may need to retain your personal information in order to continue providing a service.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data using your account settings and tools that we offer, but if you aren’t able to do that, or you would like to contact us about one of the other rights, scroll down to How to Reach Us to, well, find out how to reach us. EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
Jilt is responsible for the processing of personal data it receives, under each Privacy Shield Framework, and subsequently transfers to a third party acting as an agent on its behalf. Jilt complies with the Privacy Shield Principles for all onward transfers of personal data from the EU and Switzerland, including the onward transfer liability provisions.
With respect to personal data received or transferred pursuant to the Privacy Shield Frameworks, Jilt is subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. In certain situations, Jilt may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, Jilt commits to resolve complaints about our collection or use of your personal information. EU and Swiss individuals with inquiries or complaints regarding our Privacy Shield policy should first contact us by emailing email@example.com.
Jilt has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the Privacy Shield Principles to JAMS, an independent third-party dispute resolution provider based in the United States, and they will investigate and assist you free of charge. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit JAMS for more information and to file a complaint.
Under certain conditions, Privacy Shield provides the right to invoke binding arbitration when other dispute resolution procedures have not provided resolution. This is described in Annex I to the Privacy Shield.
- In the case of US based entities, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them, or ensuring they have signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield; or
- In the case of entities based in other countries outside the EEA, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them.
You can ask us for more information about the steps we take to protect your personal information when transferring it from the EU.
Our service is not intended for users under 18. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that their child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, they should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 18. If we become aware that a child under 18 has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete such information from our files.
Residents of California have the right to request a disclosure describing what types of personal information we have shared with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, and with whom we have shared it, during the preceding year. You may request a copy of that disclosure by contacting us at email@example.com.
If you’d like to use third party integrations, or other third party software, please keep in mind that when you interact with them you may provide information about yourself (or your site visitors) to those third parties. We don’t own or control these third parties and they have their own rules about collection, use and sharing of information, which you should review.
- 2018-05-24: Revised and reorganized language throughout to help simplify our policy and clarify our practices, as well as added language to reflect the requirements of the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation.
- 2016-11-27: Updated links from getjilt.com to jilt.com.