Hi there! This Privacy notice explains how we, at Jilt, process information about the visitors of our users’ Stores in connection with the services we provide. Read on!
Who’s who and what this privacy notice covers
Let’s talk first about who we are at Jilt, what we do, and what this Privacy notice covers. We are the folks behind a service that provides effortless email marketing for eCommerce stores of all shapes and sizes.
Information we collect about visitors to our users’ stores
We collect information about visitors to our Users’ Stores in a few different ways – we collect certain information that the visitors provide to the Store, we collect some information automatically, and we collect any information that our Users provide to us about their visitors.
Information a visitor provides to a store
We’ll start with information that visitors provide directly to a Store, which primarily happens when visitors type into a text field on a Store, like a checkout form or email list sign-up form. Our Users may also implement other ways to allow Store visitors to provide information directly through their Stores. The most common way in which a visitor directly provides information to a Store using our service is if a visitor orders something (hooray!) from a Store, we may collect information, billing & shipping information, email address, phone number, order details like shipping and tax amounts, and information about the products in the order. We may also use this information for other purposes on behalf of our Users – for example, to send marketing and other communications from our Users to their customers, and to provide our User with analytics information about their eCommerce Store (e.g., the number of orders from particular geographic areas).
Information we automatically collect from the store
We also automatically collect some information about visitors to a Store. The information we automatically collect depends on which of our services the Store uses. We’ve listed examples below:
- Technical data from a visitor’s computer and etcetera: We collect the information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available about visitors to a Store, such as the IP address, browser type, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring Store, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information.
- Visitor interactions: We collect information about a visitor’s interactions with a Store, including actions like viewing a product or adding it the visitor’s cart.
- Location information: We may determine the approximate location of a visitor’s device from the IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate for our Users how many people abandoned their carts from certain geographic regions.
- Information from cookies and other technologies: A cookie is a string of information that a Store stores on a visitor’s computer, and that the visitor’s browser provides to the Store each time the visitor returns. Pixel tags (also called web beacons) are small blocks of code placed on Stores. Jilt uses both cookies and technologies like pixel tags in HTML emails to help identify and track who opens an email.
Other information provided by our users
We also collect any other information that our Users provide to us about visitors to their Stores.
How we use visitor information
How we share visitor information
We may share information collected about Store visitors in the limited circumstances spelled out below:
- Subsidiaries, employees, and independent contractors: We may disclose Store visitor information to our subsidiaries, our employees, and individuals who are our independent contractors that need to know the information in order to help us provide our services to our Users and their Stores, or to process the information on our behalf. We require our subsidiaries, employees, and independent contractors to follow this Privacy notice for information about visitors that we share with them.
- Third party vendors: We may share Store visitor information with third party vendors who need to know this information in order to provide their services to us. This group includes vendors that help us provide our services to our Users and their Stores. We require vendors to agree to privacy commitments in order to share information with them.
- Legal requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- To protect rights, property, and others: We may disclose Store visitor information when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Jilt, our Users, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- Business transfers: In connection with any merger, sale of company assets, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company, or in the unlikely event that Jilt goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, Store visitor information would likely be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. If any of these events were to happen, this Privacy notice would continue to apply to Store visitor information and the party receiving this information may continue to use this information, but only consistent with this Privacy notice.
Our Users’ Stores may contain ads from third party ad networks and advertisers, and our Users may integrate other tools and services on their Stores (such as Google Analytics and third party plugins). Please note that this Privacy notice only covers the collection of information by Jilt, and does not cover the collection by any third party. Ad networks and analytics providers may set tracking technologies (like cookies) to collect information about visitors’ use of a Store and across other Stores and online services, such as a visitor’s IP address, web browser, mobile network information, pages viewed, time spent on pages, links clicked, and conversion information. This information may be used by those companies to, among other things, analyze and track usage, determine the popularity of certain content, and deliver advertisements that may be more targeted to visitor interests. For more information about how to manage and delete cookies, visit aboutcookies.org, and for more information on interest-based ads, including information about how visitors may be able to opt out of having their web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes, please visit aboutads.info/choices (US based) and youronlinechoices.eu (EU based).
Cookies set by Jilt
jilt_customer_session_id– used to attribute placed orders to emails sent
Some sections adopted from Automattic legalmattic, CC BY-SA 4.0 license.